A few months ago two things happened in a short space of time which has brought my posts to a grinding halt on The 35mm Project. First I dropped my C-41 colour chemicals on the floor because the wardrobe shelf collapsed … I was storing the bleach, stabiliser and developer in 3 x 1 L glass bottles on the top shelf (rookie mistake) and as you can imagine it made a pretty epic…BOOM! Smashed glass and brown shitty chemicals all over my floor.
I screamed a few expletives and my partner come running in to the room wondering what I had done…I cleaned up the mess and decided to purchase some plastic chemical storage bottles for future C-41 processing and changed the location of all my gear from the top shelf to the bottom shelf. Lesson learned! Unfortunately It had been a while since developing colour film and the concentrated chemicals had spoilt, separating into a weird goo with flakes in. Boo! I am going to hang off ordering more Tetenal until I have around 30 rolls of film to develop otherwise I wouldn’t be cost or environmentally conscious! Luckily even exposed film can be stored for a significant amount of time when kept cold in the fridge.
Secondly my 9 year old MacBook Pro died! It had been on it’s way out for a while but this time it was non repairable :(. I decided to replace it but wanted to pay off some debt first. So fast forward from March to July and I have a new MacBook, I am back online and almost near completion of a project I have been working on for around a year…
The Found Archive:
Around a year ago I started scanning the negatives of photographs my father took between the 1980’s to the early 2000’s of my family, our holidays, friends and various events in our lives. The catalogue of images he captured looks back at our younger years through his eyes. It is nostalgic for me not only to reflect on my childhood but also to review the old film that one can no longer purchase.
To date I have scanned 2,265 frames from an assortment of 24 and 36 exposure film. The negatives when I received them had been stored in a metal fireproof box in their original holder from the print labs my father used many years ago. There was a few times when handling the negatives I winced at the lab gluing paper along the side of frames which I had to carefully remove so as not to damage the image. Since inheriting the negatives I have cleaned them, archived them in sleeves and store them in a well made photographic archival binder. Interestedly the camera that I am shooting with today is the same camera that my father used for most of the photographs during this period of time (released 1987), a Canon EOS 620.
I am now in the final stages of my project – scanning the final photographs, cropping and preparing them for upload and giving the original prints away to my family members. I hope you enjoy viewing the photos when I upload them as much as I have scanning them.